Subject: [Leica] IMG: M8 vs. OM-D, real people pictures
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 00:26:46 -0800

Ken: I understand how you feel. I had an M2 in the 70s. I sold it during
a bout of poverty, then found later that collecting had driven up the
price of M cameras beyond my reach.  I had to make do with a Retina, a
IIIf and an OM-2 for years. If you "get" Leica, then nothing else is
quite the same.

You'll get it back eventually. You might want to pick up a film M and
one of the less pricey 50mm lenses for the interim, if that would keep
you in the the groove.

In the meantime, the E-M5 is quite nice, and very versatile. The 20/1.7
is a great lens, and the 45/1.8 is even better. I picked up the Oly
because it checked all the boxes for stuff I wanted that a rangefinder
wasn't so good at, and it seemed the sweet spot for image quality vs.
size and weight and realistic cost. So we were thinking along the same
lines.

Maybe I've got some OM DNA in my bloodstream along with Leica, because I
am finding the little E-M5 engaging.  It's a different mindset, but one
can have a lot of fun with it. It can be a point-and-shoot. It can be a
quasi-SLR. It can also be the cutest little miniature view camera that
can take any lens on the planet. And you get double your focal length on
your long lenses.

--Peter

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/erevxmas2011/L1008813.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240049-w.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/NewYear2011-12/L1009035.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240053-w.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/erevxmas2011/L1008832.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240067-w.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/friends/ErevXmas09/L1005913.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/xmaseve2012/PC240069-w.jpg.html>

 > >> Feel free to browse the rest of the folders if you want to see more.
 > >>
 > >> Here's what I'm seeing so far:
 > >>
 > >> 1. The M8 with 35mm Summilux is clearly sharper when properly
focused.
 > >> But the E-M5 with 20/1.7 is quite usable. Note that the difference in
 > >> sharpness is less when both cameras are set at ISO 800, but it is
still
 > >> there, and you can see it even in these Web-sized JPGs.
 > >> 2. Despite the E-M5's wonderful image stabilization, I can get
sharper
 > >> shots at ~1/60 with the M8 than I can with the E-M5.
 > >> 3. The M8 is biased towards pink/magenta, the E-M5 towards yellow.
(Yes,