Subject: [Leica] Ipad_Pages
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:40:25 -0500

Technology is a tool which should serve your end. A Leica M or an iPad is no
different. :)

Can you clarify your question? If you are filling out a form/template on
your iPad with some data and synching the data later back to your computer
(PC or Mac) via a USB cable later, you don't need encryption since nothing
is transmitted over the air.

If you are using iCloud to do your synchronization, your data is fairly
safe. Whether iCloud storage can meet HIPPA requirements is a different
question for which I don't have an answer to. Figuring out the answer to
that question is expensive.

If what you are worried about is loosing your iPad, the simplest solution is
to put a PIN lock on your iPad and enable the "10 wrong PIN guesses, erase
content of iPad" option. That should protect against casual thieves
accessing your patient data.

If the NSA/FBI is after the data on your iPad, just give them the PIN. ;-)

Regards,
Spencer