Subject: [Leica] Journalist buys a Leica!/Reinvigoration
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 12:41:31 -0500

Great post Rabs!
To me a fine art photographer is someone who has cracked the fine art
market.
He or she has found a gallery owner and entered into a relationship with
them for them to have shows of their work and probably represent them for
the long or short term.
On a photography list which a camera brand name in the title and most of its
inhabitants in software design and heavily involved in the continual buying
and selling of camera gear which much less thought to their body of work
they are accumulating its seems natural that the art world becomes  a thing
of suspicion. The term "artist" off putting and an object called "art" a
thing of suspicion.

Someone who had a strong background in art might find the high tech
continual buying and selling of camera bodies and lenses and printers with
suspicion and mistrust. I know some of those.
They are much more comfortable with focusing their attentions on their
portfolio and their next print or shoot.

My background in school I was an art major and to call oneselves an "artist"
was something we had to get over real quick; as its no big deal.  Also the
act of producing art and forging a portfolio was kind of a natural thing one
starts into it or I think you'd flunk out real quick.
You hang your stuff on any wall you can and see how it flies.
Its really not voodoo and its really not rocket science.
Though on the LUG for the most part it certainly seems to be.