Subject: [Leica] a "pro-hobbyist" evaluates an M9 . . . ICK
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 20:01:25 -0500

I think comparing a medium format digital sensor against a 24x36 is not
about megapixels (MP's) but about pixel pitch another way of saying pixel
size. Squeezing a load of small pixels into a small sensor doesn't cut it in
this crazy world.
http://firmitas.org/Sensor.html

And pixel depth
14 bit capture has 16,384 possible values for each color channel
16 bit capture has 65,536 possible values for each color channel

You get 16 bit with medium format sensors, 14 with 24x36.

I'm fond of the idea of getting 65,536 instead of 16,384  possible values
for each color channel.

Explains the reaction I got when I first saw a print from a medium format
digital camera.
Knocked my bloody socks off. I'm still getting over it.