Subject: [Leica] OT: Smartphone apps...
From: justin at sprawl.com.au (Justin Viiret)
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 18:40:18 +1100

Hi Richard, Spencer, and everyone,

I have a similar itch to Spencer's below that I haven't scratched myself,
yet. It may not be possible given Apple's walled garden approach,
actually... I haven't looked into how feasible it is with the APIs
available.

So, I used to travel with cameras and a laptop, which made getting images
into Lightroom a piece of cake. On my trip to India last year, I left the
laptop at home and just took my M9 and a phone and a whole bunch of SD
cards. This worked fine, but meant that I effectively had to leave any
viewing/editing jobs until my return home, just like my film days, since
for me the screen on the back of the M9 is fairly rubbish for anything
other than looking at broad composition.

What I want to be able to do is:

1. Plug the SD card into a dongle like Apple's camera connection kit,
attached to an iPad or iPhone.
2. Use an application to view and do very simple editing of the set of DNG
files on the cards -- a "favourite" bit and the ability to delete images
would suffice.

Effectively, using the iPad as a replacement for the LCD on the back of the
camera.

Last I checked, this wasn't possible without transferring all the pictures
on to the device and into iPhoto, which I'm not really interested in doing,
and iPhoto couldn't show more than the low-res preview in a DNG file
anyway. If anyone else has managed to make this work, I'd love to hear
about it. :)

jv