Subject: [Leica] EBay dangers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 17:26:00 -0500

EBay dangers is of course huge news. We could go on and on with that till
the cows come home; it being our first love.
What it sounds like is Commerce with a capital C.
People sounding like camera store owners; they have vast experience in the
selling and buying  of merchandise. Ask them a question about photography or
photographers or schools of photography you're going to get a whole lot less
enthusiasm and vast concise experienced info.

The word "photo enthusiast" comes to mind here and the better phrase would
be "camera enthusiast" but I don't think even that because if a person truly
loved a camera they would not buy one knowing they'd probably be unloading
it less than a year later.
Camera collectors I have no problem with. They clearly love cameras. When
they buy one its not like they are renting one pretending to be interested
in photography. They buy it and they keep it, adding it to their collection
and not pretending they have any interest in the use of these tools.
I'd call it playing with money. Photography or cameras even have little to
do with it.

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photography