Subject: [Leica] Ebay dangers
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:57:56 -0800

As a recovering lawyer, I always ask myself whether I could reasonably
& economically prevail in a lawsuit (all but small claims court are
too expensive) or other dispute resolution system.  If not, no deal.

If major credit cards are used and the transaction is covered by the
Fair Credit Billing Act (normally they are), the dispute resolution
system used for at least domestic credit card purchases (DK about
foreign) seems to be good enough.  I have always found the results
good in my transactions & disputes.

If cash or equivalent, I want local small claims court to be handy.

NY has excellent consumer protection and mail order laws.  That is one
reason for NY's success in that field.  I think I could cause a major
NY seller with a reputation to protect so much grief if they shafted
me that they simply would not.  That 2 week return policy has the
state behind it for enforcement.  Now, of course, there is also the
Fair Credit Billing Act also to back up purchases from NY mail order
houses.

If eBay, I would look at the PayPal terms carefully.  I have not
studied them and the alternative protection options to see how
effective they might be.  PayPal/eBay clearly has an incentive to
establish systems that allow or provide for economical dispute
resolution.  Musk was/is a genius; hopefully the people there now at
least have enough smarts to figure out that it's in their interest to
have safe options. Look carefully at the systems they have set up if
you are buying expensive things.

As a seller (e.g., a small print show/collection to Russia) I wait
until the money is in my PayPal account.  So far, so good.  The base
system seems to be seller oriented.

Be sure you have written evidence on all -- no phone conversation
contracts or representations.  When there is a dispute all will lie.
It's got to be written, including e-mail.

I recently had an eBay sale "not arrive."  When I conveyed all the
delivery confirmation information to the buyer, the product suddenly
was at his mail drop after all.  What a coincidence.  We're all happy
now, but he will not get a review from me.

Be careful out there.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Replies: Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Ebay dangers)