Subject: [Leica] Was (Now) Nikon 24-120 now needing 'full frame'
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 11:30:39 +1030

Hi John,

Welcome.

Mindful of the 40 lp/mm limit on amateur photography (with a prime lens, a
> lightweight tripod, and 160 ASA colour print film) only a full-frame sensor
> will do.

Here I disagree.  For photography like was done with 35 mm cameras - with
anything faster than ultra-slow film, in real world situations,
current smaller sensors do just fine, including at print sizes regarded as
the upper end for 35 mm film - I am thinking of full-frame prints on  11
x14 or 12x16 paper.

> And full-frame DSLRs are heavy: I want something as light as the 25 oz of
> my F3/T; but from Nikon, even the D800 weighs 35 oz with battery and memory
> card.

This is a really valid point. The D600 weighs 800 g / 30 ounces with
battery and card but is much smaller.  Still rnot in your target range.

> Hence the attraction of a 21 oz digital Leica M rangefinder.

 The M cameras are much smaller and lighter, although they still
feel remarkably dense.

Needless to say, if anyone has any information or opinion they think will
> be useful, I?d be most grateful.

Full-frame digital cameras provide results more like we got with 645 or 6x6
film.  Certainly in terms of resolution of detail, or ability to put MTF
onto a print.  Tonality is still better with larger medium formats and
modern cameras that can keep the film flat (I am thinking of 6x8 and 6x9)
but not by a huge amount.  A lot of this is dependant on your ability to
shoot with good technique, process files and print well.  If you shot Tech
Pan and aligned your enlarger every time you printed, you may need a full
frame digital to get similar results.  If you didn't, you probably don't.

The other thing that 24x36 sensor cameras do really well is manage very low
light or very contrasty light; the exposure range the full frame cameras
capture is wider.  If you take photos of things that don't move, frame
merging makes this irrelevant with digital anyway.

But if you want a nice light camera that can print well to moderate but not
huge sizes, micro four thirds or APS size sensors are just fine, especially
in good light.

As always, experience and circumstance matter a lot.

Marty