Subject: [Leica] simple intellectual property question
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 18:37:32 -0600

Jack,

Thanks for your time to reply and the input.  The question was more of
curiosity for me, once I read the Facebook ToU, since I have yet to get
substantial prices for my photos, except as I have noted at charity auctions
with open bars.  My question was based on the expansive wording of the FB
ToU, specifically the word "anything" in the definition of content subject
to the ToU provisions.  In looking around the web, the non-lawyer responses
I see indicate, as Nathan said, that FB might publicize the link but not the
underlying image.  It seems that the trouble starts when one directly
uploads a photo to FB, and then the royalty-free license attaches.
Evidently there was a similar problem on Flickr, in that a change in their
"share" button uploaded a copy of the image to FB instead of just a link.
The Flickr response I saw indicated that one could still post a link if
there was concern about IP rights.  But, so far nothing authoritative.

Best regards,

Ken