Subject: [Leica] Canon doesn't see it quite like Mark
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 01:03:05 -0500

In the old days there were all kinds of people serious amateurs top pro's,
effect rich guys shooting pocketable compact cameras and most were full
format so a huge blow up might now look all that different from one from a 3
pound SLR. Sure there was Minox and half frame and some used those although
there didn't seem to be much point as the full frame film cameras were about
just as small. Certainly pocketable. There had to be at least one pro who
hung a show or did an important picture story with a smaller than 24x36
format film camera. We just cant think of one.

Nowadays with digital we see a compact camera and we think we'll do that too
just as we did a film compact the same size. Only the format is way smaller.
The size of Minox or full frame or super eight or worse.
So you don't see the serious people shooting so much with those yet. They
just don't. Unless its a cell phone.
This is just about to change with the Sony Sony DSC-RX1
24-megapixel full-frame compact digital camera. In effect a digital Rollei
35.
With the release of this camera digital compacts have  they have caught up
with the Olympus XA, Rollei 35 and a bunch of other famous compact film
cameras which made full use of 35mm film and a solid top quality build with
impressive optics. And were were not aiming at dads shooting the kids
opening the holiday presents with plastic cameras but a more selective
serious customer wiling to spend some serious money.
We can have that now.
And it threatens the buying of toy cameras which has prevailed on the Lug
for a few years now. Don't want to shell out seven grand? Well how about
this for a couple of hundred bucks we promise its just as good?! Except they
they didn't even come close to being as good.
Now the writings on the wall that if you don't want to spend seven grand you
can get the Sony for three. Three grand. Not three hundred.
The days that we can justify buying toy cameras and calling them
replacements for a Leica are over. That's bad news for a lot of people I
guess who had their head in the sand the whole time anyway.
I'm glad there are quality options in compact cameras now.
It does not threaten me. It does not threaten my camera buys over the past
years.