Subject: [Leica] Canon doesn't see it quite like Mark
From: bensonga at gmail.com (Gary Benson)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 18:41:41 -0900

I don't know what Mark's view is, but I'm glad to see Canon enter the
mirrorless, interchangeable lens, APS-C market.  I'm already full
committed to the micro four-thirds system (Panasonic G1, GH2 and
Olympus OMD) with many lenses and adapters to use my manual focus
Leica R and Nikkor lenses, so I won't be buying a Canon EOS-M, but not
because I don't think Canon can build a good camera.  I like the Fuji
X system a lot too, but other than my X100, I probably won't be
investing in a Fuji interchangeable lens system.  Gotta draw the line
somewhere (but I never say never).

Unlike Mark, I've owned quite a few Canon cameras and lenses,
including several EOS DSLRs, their last pro level 35mm film camera
(the 1V HS) and even an original F1 (recently purchased).  All have
been very good cameras, with some outstanding lenses (the 135mm f2L is
amazing).

Personally, I don't have a need for a compact full frame 35mm sensor
camera, but hey, if some companies want to built them and other people
want to buy them......it's no skin off my nose.  Why should any of us
care one way or the other?  That's no reason to say or think that
smaller sensor formats are any more of less worthy of a "serious"
photographer's consideration.  There are plenty of serious
photographers here creating outstanding images with every format
camera imaginable.....even camera phones.

It's not the format or camera that ultimately determines the quality
of an image.  Great (or crappy) images can be taken with virtually any
camera.  I know that to be true from personal experience.
Unfortunately, my hit rate for "great" images is painfully low, no
matter which camera I am using.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Canon doesn't see it quite like Mark)