Subject: [Leica] any Sony rx 1 users
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:06:13 -0800
References: <CAJ3Pgh6bJ6PhdPf-3N_Lx2FiA_PLdKwV-32Z=EJ6my9YPk38gQ@mail.gmail.com> <CD10EE74.31B9%mark@rabinergroup.com> <CAJ3Pgh60E_+Nc=fDR1FOpu=A-UX3TNeuQdT+Pd_1-AyOGVdbPQ@mail.gmail.com> <175e01cded62$b6433c50$22c9b4f0$@verizon.net> <CAJ3Pgh4DB5bQQ_PA9G+G8oO6_AjVdwxdcwGajNDBPLEEsxGpMg@mail.gmail.com> <175f01cded65$936a4ef0$ba3eecd0$@verizon.net> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9A16A3B10@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <CAJ3Pgh617bYKU4XEPGmbg+MSAtrTf=iJZ_Q326AWb86NbGzVEQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAF8hL-EbA0AcopbRhq2JMuzbGzrORpjDOrAVBJCGHP+-M3+iVg@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh48DBLJRZXsaPeGDkRECq0NFcap7A2Xfq2yu6gAv5dWgg@mail.gmail.com> <CAF8hL-Hjm=D97=Nsgv08qNfsGOV-n5+MTmZErjUU+Uxe7nz69A@mail.gmail.com>

I had the opportunity to test a Sony RX1 briefly.  I sent it back due
to defects, but it is an interesting camera and has a few attributes
that are an exciting glimpse of the future.

The Zeiss optic has edge-of-the-frame sharpness that is really
remarkable.  The bad news is that just in from the edges the image
falls apart.  My Zeiss ZM 35mm f/2.8 Biogon is better outside the very
edges -- even at f2.8.  If the Zeiss soft do-nut is not just some
assembly quirk, I'd say Zeiss poorly balanced the performance of the
lens.  (The cynic in me says they were gaming some standardized
testing protocol.)

The 24 MP Sony sensor does not seem to be able to capture quite as
much fine detail as the M9.  I may be totally spoiled by the M9's lack
of a diffusion screen (AA filter) over the sensor.

An interesting surprise is that the noise and ISO advantage of the
Sony CMOS does not totally transfer to my B&W shooting.  The green and
blue channels of the CMOS image have way less noise at iso 1600 and 3
stops down into the shadows.  However, the red channel of the CCD is
essentially as good as that of the Sony CMOS.  I don't know if this is
typical of CMOS v. CCD or just these samples.

The Sony manual focusing isn't close to what I like.  I did not have
the electronic viewfinder, however, so I can't say if there is
potentially a way to get more accuracy out of the system.  The peaking
has way too much DOF -- just insensitive to seemingly significant
moves of the focusing ring.  Manually opening the lens to f/2 should
not be necessary.

The electronic level that one can make visible in the viewfinder is
just fantastic.  Now I don't want any camera that does not have that
feature.

The system sucked the little batteries dry way too fast.  Carry a
pocket full of OEM batteries (the third party sample would not fit).

So, interesting, but not ready for prime time for me.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Replies: Reply from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] any Sony rx 1 users)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] any Sony rx 1 users)