Subject: [Leica] Slightly OT
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:22:08 -0600

On Feb 13, 2013, at 12:33 AM, Larry Bullis wrote:

> Thanks for posting this, Phil.
>
> I think that you address an issue that involves a huge population of folks
> that goes well beyond just photographers. Also, I don't think that it
> stops with just veterans, although they are a very large, special and
> critical subset of the increasing segment of the population that has
> trouble finding it's place. I also think that your going out and telling
> your story as you do takes a lot of courage. I felt a strong sense of
> privilege in being invited to see the dynamics of your life. The fact that
> you present it here, in a group largely composed of persons with at least
> enough means to be able to possess extremely expensive cameras seems
> especially courageous. Thank you for your service, and for your
> willingness to share. Good luck to you!
>
> On 2/11/13 9:33 PM, lug-request at leica-users.org wrote:

>> From: Phil Forrest<photo.forrest at earthlink.net>
>> Subject: [Leica] Slightly OT

>> My morning writing about frustration in photography work these days
>>
>> http://philforrest.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/a-year-and-a-week/

I agree with Larry on most of his points Phil.
I appreciate your sharing the story of your efforts and travails.

You chose a career in photography (journalism and/or documentary) at the
worst possible epoch of its history;
a time when experienced professionals cannot find editors willing to hire or
publishers willing support their projects.
The schools keep churning out heavy competition for an extremely limited job
market;
a market where the only the very best, most resourceful and tenacious will
find success.

The same can be said for so many other job markets as well.
The graphic design market has also been utterly transformed
by the technology, the decimation of print publications, and easy access to
global competition.

With robotics and all the other technologies increasing productivity
It's become quite obvious that there are far more warm bodies looking for
"work"
than there are jobs for them to do;
whether unskilled, semi-skilled, skilled or highly skilled.

Attitude, tenacity, high quality networking and making every effort
to be at the right place, at the right time, with the right portfolio and
will determine who will get hired or get their project supported.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com