Subject: [Leica] IMG: More, please!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 11:23:32 -0800

Tina Manley SHOWED & ASKED:

 > Similar to one I posted earlier but I think I prefer this one:
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/148917677
>
> The earlier one:
>  http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/148903571
>
> What do you think?<<<<<

Hi Tina,
You can use both! But under different showings.

1/ The first image could be used as an "overall establishing location
frame." Let's say in a magazine photo essay. Or an exhibition. Certainly
given their type of living conditions. But in some cases they could both be
used as in merely "over all --  close-up!" Some what as we'd see in a movie!
But again in a photo series situation.

2/ The tighter image is beautiful and becomes the grabber, both visually and
emotional movement in feelings for the child no different than a writer
adding a "great grabber-line in a paragraph!"

However, if I had to be a tough ass between one or the other it would be
number 2 the  tighter image.

WHY? It has everything: B&W, (IMPACT OF CONTENT AND NO DISTRACTING COLOURS!)
Just tight enough, emotional moving as she holds out the bowl! EVEN BETTER
BECAUSE?

IT ISN'T ONE OF THOSE SO CALLED ----usual "fund raising eye balls into
camera holding the bowl up to the TV or other media viewer crap! With a
soppy eyed look on some "poor child as we compare mentally and visually
their living conditions to ours!" With a voice over of some soppy sickening
same old message about giving!

THIS PHOTOGRAPH HAS GREAT STORY TELLING IMPACT, TONS MORE THAN THE SICKENING
INTO CAMERA LENS IMAGE SO OFTEN USED BY VARIOUS AGENCIES ON TV OR
ELSEWHERE!!

When I see a TV commercial where children and families are the body of the
ad. I always make a quick image comparison of TV image to your
photography!!!!!!!!! The TV commercial looses because it's the same old
staged image! And in "sickening colour that kills the power impact of B&W!"
under these living conditions.

There now I think that indicates my favourite of the two.... with the reason
why! :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: More, please!)