Subject: [Leica] IMG: General Tire
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 13:53:36 -0600

On Mar 1, 2013, at 1:39 PM, Sonny Carter wrote:

> Ted, it is just a Japanese word that is short for "out of focus background"
> and there has always been good out of focus background and bad out of focus
> background, when you use fast or long lenses.
>
>  I'm an old fart too, and I find it a useful term.  Nothing to get your
> panties bunched up about.

+1 (also from an aging fart)

Photography can be discussed from many different points of view.

The moment of exposure can be important: magic moment, decisive, historical
moment.

The aesthetics can be important: composition, color, texture, line,
tonality, light

The rendering quality (another subset of aesthetics) can be important:
bokeh, grain, noise, fringing, optical anomalies

The science can be important: botanical, fauna, astronomical,
anthropological, sociological, micro - macro - telescopic

The most astounding photographs pay a good deal of attention to one or more
of the above.
When a photograph reaches the heights of all of the above - we refer to them
as masterpieces:
as the "photographer" has accomplished the right place at the right time
with the correct equipment
and with artistry and technical perfection.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com