Subject: [Leica] M mount on micro 4/3: Price vs quality
From: cedric.agie at gmail.com (Cedric Agie)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 12:28:40 +0100

It's not only a question of (very precise) machining, even with CNC
machines, but also of finishing (cooling, repolishing, washing etc.)
at each stage and final covering of pieces of expensive metal with one
or more layer(s) of for example hard chrome, plus a final repolishing
and check.

Years ago you could buy yourself a copy of a Leica made in the former
eastern block. It looked like a Leica, it was much cheaper than a
Leica, but it wasn't a Leica. With the lenses results where even worse
than with the bodies alone. The alluminium they where made of were as
soft as butter. They simply didn't even have enough copper at hand to
make electrical wires.

 Not to speak of the color papers and films made in the same regions.
You could devellop them in Agfa soup, but results where horrible.

One day I saw a guy in a Leica shop with a Leica M body and a ring
"coming from elsewher" stuck inside. I heard whispers, cries and
guessed there would be some tears. A trip to Solms, CLA alone, will
cost you at least 1.000? insurance and expedition not included.

It's like everything, you get what you paid for.

Regards

Cedric