Subject: [Leica] IMG: Blossom Trail and a question...
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 14:33:37 -0600

On Mar 6, 2013, at 12:11 AM, Robert Adler wrote:

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rgacpa_HI/Fresno-CF000325-Master.jpg.html
>
> (recommend a large view)
>
> I added a small prop to the image which I'm thinking of using more often if
> I can't find a bench, just to give a sense of scale/place. If you notice
> it, I'd appreciate your opinions on its use. Sometimes it may be discrete,
> as in this image; sometimes more apparent.

Does this "propping" stem from a sense of passion?
Does the "photograph" need a prop?
Does the "prop" add to composition, line, form, value, texture, content?
or
Does it become a "conceit?"

As Henning mentioned - Red Couch book certainly comes to mind.
as does

As does the fellow who included himself in every city and landscape
<http://www.creativephotography.org/study-research/educators/tseng-kwong-chi>
which I actually found much more profound than the Red Couch
as
It's so very interesting that "we" don't generally appear in our
"photographs."
They're generally something we "point at."
whereas Tseng seems to point strikingly at "I was here."

Helmut Newton often accomplished a similar feeling;
along with the eroticism.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com