Subject: [Leica] IMG: Sunday Flower
From: bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 20:32:08 -0400

Tina,

Thanks! This tulip was in a vase on the dining room table. It was too heavy
for the stem, so the entire thing was bent over so the tulip was on its side
and the light from the window was shining into the tulip.

The black background is an old piece of 16x20 mount board which is so old,
so knackered, and has been used so many times that I now have to use
photoshop to remove its battle scares from the final version of the picture.
 I am thinking about treating myself to a new piece of cardboard one o these
days!

You just put the black card in the background. I use a bottle of Pelegrino
to prop it up, but anything will do. It helps a lot to   Get the card as far
back as you can and I helps to find a spot for it so that as little light as
possible falls on it. This picture is strongly side lot and I placed the
card so that its edge was in the light. You spot meter for the flower and
let the black card fall where it wants.

Then you use photo shop, or which ever tool you want, to clean up the whole
thing. Sometimes you have to darken the card to make it black. This usually
causes other problems which then need to be fixed.

Most of the time it works really well. Sometimes it results in a mess which
is not worth cleaning up. The two secrets are spot metering and placing the
card so that as little light as possible falls on it.

Barney

Barney Quinn, WK3Z
C: (301) 775-1386
H: (301) 654-0938