Subject: [Leica] a photographer sued
From: bcaldwell51 at earthlink.net (Bryan Caldwell)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 14:50:13 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

I think the distinction drawn by the California Legislature is a pretty good
one. You cannot trespass to capture an image (visual or audio). And, you
cannot use a technological enhancing device to capture an image that you
couldn't have captured without committing a trespass if you didn't use said
device. (We're talking about civil liability here, not criminal acts.)

So, standing on a public sidewalk taking a picture of someone in their front
yard would be okay (although they might not like it). Using a remote
helicopter to peer in a fourth floor window or down through a skylight would
not.

It's also worth remembering that taking the image is one thing. What you can
do with it is another. You can have an image that was legitimately taken and
still use it for purposes that would submit you to civil liability.

Bryan

Replies: Reply from gerry.walden at me.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] a photographer sued)