Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 31/5/2013: señorita test
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 12:50:57 +0530

Adam,
Autofocus is very usable, but it is not in the D700/D800/D4 class. I would
guess this is because of two reasons - firstly, the AF motor is in the
body, and not in the lens like most Canikon lenses and secondly because of
its "Contrast Detect" AF system which is not as fast as the "Phase Detect"
AF systems used in Canikons. This can be mitigated to a large extent by
focusing on vertical lines, or similar areas of contrast within the frame.
The X100s has tremendously improved AF using a hybrid system, and I think
that will be available in the next iteration of the X-Pro 1/XE-1 series. By
the way, one point that frequently gets overlooked is that the AF is
extremely accurate - I have had no need to fine tune the focus for each
individual lens as I invariably do on my Nikon bodies.

I find the AF perfectly acceptable for what I use it for - street and
travel, but I would not dream of using it for wildlife or sport, for
example. Tools for jobs.

For more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus

Cheers