Subject: [Leica] f8 and be there HCB and everyone else
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 08:53:02 -0500

I doubt that lens wide open is the LUG norm, as much as you like to say it.

If you examine the way your eye sees, you'll note that it tends to focus on
objects and parts of the field not focused on is slightly oof.

What we do, is show people what we see.  From what I've read, HCB did
things the way he did out of convenience.  (He used a collapsible 50
because he liked to pocket the camera.)

I've looked at lots of his images, and it is pretty clear that he did not
stick to unruly rules.

One important point is that he was shooting mostly outside with one camera,
so he was stuck with whatever ASA (now ISO) and a maximum of 1000th of a
second.  That pretty much dictates his f stop.

The freeing thing about digital is that we can adjust our ISO, and with a
top shutter speed of 1/4000th, we CAN shoot wide open outside.

Just for sport, I rolled back through my last six months, and the images I
posted were a mix of shallow DOF and all in focus.

http://www.sonc.com/look/

Admittedly the flowers are mostly shot at a wide aperture, but not always.

But then, that's why I spent the money for Leica glass; If I wanted to
shoot at  f 8, I could have just bought a Nikon.