Subject: [Leica] Fuji XE-1 - Mark
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 23:17:54 -0400

Its all depending on what you think photography is.
Bringing your stuff into your darkroom and working till till O dark hundred
making negs and 8x10 prints?....
Or dropping your stuff off at the drugstore and picking the 4x6's up later?
jpegs are the digital equivalent of this latter non approach..
Describe the workflo? The ride in the car to the drugstore and back.
(oops they were replaced by kiosks in the middle of parking lots I forgot)

One would think that those  who preferred  did the drugstore machine print
deal would be the ones using the cheap cameras and the ones

With the rarified (read Leica) stuff would be taking the higher road.
At least having the stuff custom printed. (analog equivalent of raw)
But its often just the opposite.

You have no idea the effect it makes to a person who really does love
photography  to read about guy landing a Leitz 35mm 1.4 Summilux Aspherical
First version with two hand-ground aspherical elements and then machine
printing little snapshots from it or jpeging it.  Ever seen a grown man cry?
"the bokeh is so much better when its hand ground! Its the richest kind!"
Its really quite obviously silly isn't it?
Does it really matter which lens you use if your level of craft on a scale
of one to ten is zero?

It takes time! Its not just "click" you actually have to do something later!
cameras are fun objects. They look great around your neck  And until
recently they were not quite easily disposable but easily interchangeable
commodities. Shutterbug giving way to ebay.  Giving us  a nice way to play
with ones hard earned money. It doesn't matter which point and shoot you
get. It will be sold on eBay next year and exchanged with another. To be
sold on eBay next year and exchanged with another.
"Harry LOVES photography he can't get enough of it!"