Subject: [Leica] Computer Quote
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 16:12:28 -0700

Tina:  Dell's quote reminds me of the time I went to a Ford dealer
looking for a new car after driving VWs and Honda Civics for years. I
mentioned legroom (I'm 6'3", or 190.5 cm). They tried to talk me into
buying a Crown Victoria (a police cruiser type car!). Yes, it had
legroom, but everything else was wrong.

Listen to the folks here, they are steering you right.

All this reminds me of another reason (*) why I decided to not select
Photoshop as my image editor many years ago. I looked at the resources
it required, the memory, the disk swapping. I realized that for me as an
amateur, there were programs that used far less resources far more
efficiently. That's why I selected Picture Window Pro, which does pretty
much everything PS does except layers. And since Capture One does layers
now, I don't even care much about that anymore.

For you as a professional with a large catalog of picture, PS is
probably your best choice. For the rest of us, not necessarily. I'm
happily loafing along on a refurbished Dell Optiplex 980 with a
four-core i7, 8 Gigs RAM and a 450 Gig hard drive. If I run out of space
I'll just throw another drive in the case and move older work to it.

--Peter
(*) The other reasons were:
1. The "Adobe Tax"
2. That PS was a program designed by engineers for graphic artists, and
Picture Window Pro was designed by a photographer (who was also a fine
programmer), for photographers.

-----