Subject: [Leica] Automatic mode
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 00:08:28 -0700

I've done it all different ways. Full manual through fully automatic.

Lately, if I'm just walking about in good light, I have the camera set
on P. It's sort of like a variable sunny 16. It will probably get me
that quick shot regardless of whether the subject is in sun, shade or
wherever. Before automation, we ran around with our hand on the aperture
dial.  Oooh, nice shadow. Open up three stops. Click.

With my M8, I often use aperture priority.  And if I'm in a typical easy
lighting situation, that's fine.  When it's not an easy lighting
situation, I look at what the meter says, then switch to full manual and
do as my experience tells me. Full manual is just faster than the
awkward way you have to adjust exposure compensation on the M8.

With my OM-D exposure compensation is easy and fast, so I do it that
way. And when in doubt with either camera, I'll take a test shot and Ask
Mr. Histogram.

Like Alan says, if the proportion of light and shadow is changing, but
your subject is constant, set it like you know it's got to be, and leave
it there.

It isn't less noble to use a tool that make our life faster and
easier--when you know it's going to work. It also makes no sense to
blindly follow a machine when it's gonna lead you astray, and you know
better.

--Peter