Subject: [Leica] Drobo 5n
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 20:56:36 -0400

Mehrdad,

I've seen that already - with a mix of fascination and horror. Using a PC
for this is both more expensive (since I don't have one sitting around) and
more space-intensive than a purpose-built NAS.  It would also be very
expensive to fix if there was a hardware failure (since most hardware RAID
systems seem to require the replication of their host environment to pick up
again).

The thing that is attractive about the Drobo is that it can be scaled up,
while running, with drives that are mismatched in capacity - that is not a
feature of any other system I have studied and helps me deal with the
effective re-use of internal drives now too small for my Mac Pro. I'm
assuming that the parity data is compressed somehow, since the net
capacities are higher.

Dante