Subject: [Leica] London: Shows and photos
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:00:40 +0530

George,
Thanks for the links. Enlightening, but I notice that nobody ties men up
and photographs them, speaking volumes about the condition of women in
Japanese society. What is kosher in bookbinding is not necessarily so in
BDSM. The whole oeuvre makes me uncomfortable, and to my way of thinking is
extremely distasteful, but to each his own, I guess.

I think this whole cultural mindset (of which bondage is just one small
part) is coming home to roost right now in Japanese demographics, as young
women are increasingly reluctant to marry early (the average age of women
marrying in Japan is 34, if I remember correctly), therefore not bearing
enough children to maintain the population, which is decreasing at a quite
alarming rate. The "Replacement Ratio" for a population is 2.1 children per
family, to replace the parents, and for early child deaths, and Japan is at
1.4. Other countries, like Singapore, who have low ratios bridge the gap by
actively encouraging immigration, but we know that is a non starter in
Japan as well.

Cheers
Jayanand