Subject: [Leica] London: Shows and photos
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 22:58:04 -0500

On Jun 11, 2013, at 10:30 PM, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

> George,
> Thanks for the links. Enlightening, but I notice that nobody ties men up
> and photographs them, speaking volumes about the condition of women in
> Japanese society. What is kosher in bookbinding is not necessarily so in
> BDSM. The whole oeuvre makes me uncomfortable, and to my way of thinking is
> extremely distasteful, but to each his own, I guess.

When it comes to binding/wrapping living beings - Not my thing either.
Not sexually, Not sensually. Nor aesthetically.
I don't think you'd have any difficulty finding Japanese "male bondage."
I have no desire to look for links - quite sure they'd pop right up.

And it may be a real stretch for me to call attention to the very refined
aesthetics
of Japanese book binding; along with their extremely long and beautiful
tradition
of wrapping and binding other objects;
yet that is what came to my mind as I thought about your original question.

The Japanese aesthetics of binding objects (not living beings), books,
calligraphy, pottery, haiku, ikebana, and the concepts of wabi sabi appeal
to me.
I've spent a good deal of time examining these traditions.

I could be way off base in assuming that any of those "arts" has anything
what so ever
to do with binding people.

> I think this whole cultural mindset (of which bondage is just one small
> part) is coming home to roost right now in Japanese demographics, as young
> women are increasingly reluctant to marry early (the average age of women
> marrying in Japan is 34, if I remember correctly), therefore not bearing
> enough children to maintain the population, which is decreasing at a quite
> alarming rate. The "Replacement Ratio" for a population is 2.1 children per
> family, to replace the parents, and for early child deaths, and Japan is at
> 1.4. Other countries, like Singapore, who have low ratios bridge the gap by
> actively encouraging immigration, but we know that is a non starter in
> Japan as well.

That's a whole lot to contemplate;
way beyond the aesthetics found in gallery shows;
and way beyond my pay grade.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com