Subject: [Leica] AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:39:07 -0400

Well I hope my tone was clear I'm on your side for being the only one to
mention the Leica brand on the thread I think it was an M240 you
recommended.
I was a bit put off by the unanimous consensus to get the Fuji system camera
on the LUG today. Leica has moved far beyond this now. Cropped systems.
The fuji is a half assed compromise.

I don't feel if that's what your now saying that the fact that the Fuji is
sold out that that makes it an item of interest for a list of supposed Leica
lovers. It just means they made a camera marketed at the masses and is
succeeding on that account.
As far as APS-2 1.5x compacts go I'm ok with the ones with non
interchangeable lenes. The idea of using my set of Leica glass on a cropped
format with odd balance and limited compatibility does not excite me. But
quite puts me off.
The APS-C format is fine for me on a camera which goes into a pants pocket.
I'd even go the Vario X route though it would need a coat pocket.
The compact glass on the Leica X2 or Vario are made for that format.
As are some other ones.

Fujifilm X100s $1,299 1.5 crop
Leica X2 $1,995  1.5 crop
Nikon Coolpix A $1,097  1.5 crop
Ricoh GR $797  1.5 crop
Sigma DP1, 2 or 3. $999 with a sensor closer to 2x crop.

But the camera to get of course is the Sony RX1 full frame.
If I was not shooting with an M240 that would be my camera of choice.

I'm afraid at this point I have no patience for an M9 and the money I'd have
to pay for one. I see it as a failed camera. A nice try, but no cigar.
The fact that its no longer made speaks for itself.
It was strike two.
And strike three is not going to happen for the new digital Leica company
because the Leica M240 and Monochrom are huge winners taking the company up
to a higher level which I'm excited about. One in which far more serious
users are using rangefinder Leica gear.
And the S Too.

I'm not excited about people on the Leica list talking about a cropped fuji
as if its a replacement for a full frame M. which it clearly isn't.
I'd expect to hear such garbage on the fuji list if there is one.
Or a bunch of computer geeks talking gadgets du jour.

On 6/25/13 6:39 PM, "Geoff Hopkinson" <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark I could be considered biased here ;-)
> However just suggesting what may work best for Ric whose apparently now
> facing a large repair bill for a previously repaired M8.  Personally I
> would be very frustrated in his position and very reluctant to spend more
> on the M8. I would maybe also be elevating my protest if the repair agency
> has said no to a warranty claim. Everyone's circumstance is different and
> their own of course. My understanding of that shutter problem was that the
> slower max speed ones ought to be better. The shutter unit is in any case a
> standard Copal unit that has been in many many camera for years including I
> think R cameras and the M9 too. I know nothing on any MTBF histories
> though.
> For what it's worth the excellent Fuji cameras are back ordered everywhere
> here as well... But you can pick up almost any M lens or a Monochrom or an
> M-E or an X anything or even a Dlux jeans edition right off a shelf. You
> would wait longer for an M though...but my wait is over ;-)
>  On Jun 26, 2013 7:28 AM, "Mark Rabiner" <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Geoff you seem to be suggesting that someone on the LUG go out and buy a
>> Leica camera. I can't even belive what I am reading. You are way off
>> topic.
>> This is the Fuji only zone.
>> Here today gone tomorrow cameras only.
>>

>> On 6/25/13 5:16 PM, "Geoff Hopkinson" <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I can only speak about the international warranty Ric where that is the
>>> case. I don't know the circumstances of the failure you got nor what was
>>> done of course. A camera that goes to Solms at least is assessed
>> completely
>>> when any paid service is performed and any additional work would be
>> quoted
>>> and everything adjusted to spec and guaranteed. For the M9 at least at
>> one
>>> point you could buy an additional warranty period too.
>>>

>>> *Family and friends are everything.*
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff