Subject: [Leica] Calif Park Permits
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:48:19 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Jon Stanton wrote:

A friend of mine just had a confrontation with a Calif Ranger who insisted
he obtain a permit before doing any shooting in a Calif Park. He does make
commercials & video presentations with Calif Coastline as a backdrop....
<<<

A permit complete with fees and proof of insurance is required for any
commercial photography in California state parks (apparently in other states
as well).  However some over-zealous park personnel believe that expensive
camera = professional photographer.  Art Morris (birdsasart.com) once made
the mistake of telling California park employees that he's a professional
and was ushered out of the park by state troopers:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/7149-I-was-told-to-leave-Crystal-Cove-State-Park-by-a-ranger

This is not an isolated incident.  Guidelines for photography in
California's state parks are here:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/782/files/film.pdf

The rules regarding personal photography are on page 36 of the PDF file.
Personally, I'll avoid the California state parks because my photo equipment
looks 'professional' and I want the option of selling my work.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com