Subject: [Leica] Images from loaner MM
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 00:25:05 -0700

Henning, thanks for posting these. The detail in the picture of Tom is
just incredible, and the rendition of the MM in general is very seductive.

I'm of two minds about the MM. On one hand I want it.  Bad. It would be
like having my original M2 with Tri-X, except that the Tri-X would be
rated ASA 5000 and it would look *better* than Tri-X.  And I could shoot
at 320 but have the quality of slow medium format film. If I were a rich
man (biddy biddy bum) I'd buy one yesterday.

OTOH, I have come to really appreciate having color files to convert to
B&W.  I love the ability to do tonal stuff with color filtration during
conversion. And I like being able to ask the images, after the fact:
"Do you want to be in B&W or color?" Usually they tell me, very clearly.
Maybe that option is more important to me than the last scintilla of
detail.  I usually know when I take a photo that this one will be B&W
and that one will be color. But I like only having to carry one camera.
So for me an M240 in my future probably makes more sense than an MM,
even though I think I do my best work in B&W.

Meanwhile, I love the B&W I get from my M8 when there's enough light. I
am also loving the B&W I get from my little Olympus OM-D at ISO 1600.
They aren't quasi-perfect like the MM, but they have plenty of detail,
and they are lovely in their way.

But I also love RF focusing, Leica lenses and the instant response of
Leica cameras. If I want those things all together, I have to either
accept the limitations of what I have now, or shell out mass quantities
of cash I really shouldn't. Plus, there's the question of longevity and
repairability that's been discussed in the "Buying Leica" thread.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Images from loaner MM)