From: piers.hemy at gmail.com (Piers Hemy)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:04:37 +0100

Instead of sending each posted message as an individual email, Herb,
'digest' mode batches them up (perhaps once daily, I don't know for sure)
and sends all the posted messages as one email. It is useful if you are on a
non-permanent connection, say dial-up. It might also be useful if you are
going to be away for a couple of weeks, but want to be able to review what
has been going on when you return. But it makes it trickier to respond to a
specific posting, and your response is not likely to end up properly
threaded in other LUGgers email readers.

If you have a constant broadband connection, I suspect you will not see any
benefit.

Piers