Subject: [Leica] IMG: Tasting whisky
From: piers.hemy at gmail.com (Piers Hemy)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 16:34:17 +0100

The distillery has had an 'interesting' recent history, having been bought
in 2008 by an investor based in Lithuania, who sold in 2012 to a Dutch
entity with investments in Lithuania and Russia. I suspect that the true
owners had more in common with vodka than whisky. They have tried to sell
un-matured 'Scotch whisky' locally for a couple of years, but without any
mention of the word whisky, which legally must be aged 10 years minimum.
Although the packaging was attractive, I have to say the concept of drinking
'raw' spirit was distinctly unappealing to me, at least. Presumably that
adventure didn't bring in much to keep the investors happy - but the new
owner (since March 2013) produces Benriach and Glendronach, so perhaps the
future is rosier ... eight years from now.

Great atmospheric image, Jay!

Piers