Subject: [Leica] Leica Cameras
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:42:40 -0400

That's true, Tina. I sell my work as stock too and have made a good amount
of money at it. You have mentioned here though that you are making a
fraction of what you used to from stock. If you did not have the money you
saved from your earlier work and had to live just on what you make today,
could you afford your M9 and M-Monochrome? That's the point of what I was
trying to make. That Leicas are not accessible to young photographers.

The whole world is like that, not just the photo world. My father made
very good money, but if he were just starting his career today, he'd be
making $8 an hour, not the $35 an hour he made before he retired. Even
when he started, he made the equivalent of $15 an hour (in todays money).
That was when he was 18 and had just graduated high school.

None of my students will make that when they graduate. I don't say that
because I think they're lazy or dumb or bad kids. Just as my comments
about how much you would earn as a beginning photographer were about the
quality of your work. Its just the way things are for young people; the
jobs and the money are gone. I push my kids to go on to college after they
leave high school. Its the only way they have any hope of a decent living,
and even then its not a sure thing. Most college grads now make far too
little to live, which is why so many young adults live with their parents
today. A new Leica? Young people cannot even afford to live, let alone buy
a camera that costs what those do.They're buying Canon and Nikon because
those do the job and are affordable.

I know you love your Leicas. I like my two M6 bodies too, but I could work
perfectly well without them, and you could too. Your work is not about
equipment, its about the people you're documenting. To claim that no other
camera is any good and that others are vastly inferior, as you have been
doing a lot lately, is, as I said in my first post, bullshit. Usually the
gear-obsessed brand worshippers are people who have no talent, so they
talk about their 'superior' gear. You don't need to do that, and it
surprised me to see you doing so.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography