Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 2/8/2013: Marseille panorama
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2013 17:31:50 +0200

Thanks, Douglas. No, we always docked. The best places were in Naples and in
Palma (where I am now) where the dock is close enough to the port entrance
to walk, or there is a free bus provided by the port to take you out of the
port. In Livorno and Civitavecchia the dock is so far from the port entrance
and the train stations (which you need to go to Florence and Rome,
respectively) that your only option is to cough up $12 per person for the
bus provided by the cruise line.

I have posted some general impressions here:
http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/2013/08/03/a-week-with-norwegian-cruise-lines/

Cheers,
Nathan

On 3 Aug 2013, at 16:22, Douglas Barry wrote:

> Echo that, Nathan. Marseille is a very interesting place, especially
> approaching it by sea. Did you end up docking miles away or was the ship
> moored offshore & you came and went to the ship by tender? I ask this
> because some of the large cruiseliners in Dublin don't even bother docking
> and just sit out in Dublin Bay and send tenders in and out. Apparently the
> queues can be very tedious.
>
> In an amusing incident, a few days ago, one of the tenders from the Oriana
> got lost in a sudden sea fog and had its tender permit suspended. The ship
> then had to up anchor & dock in Dublin port which no doubt cost the
> company a lot more!
>
> Douglas
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Wajsman" <photo at
> frozenlight.eu>