Subject: [Leica] MOTION COMMENTS ON PHOTOS; HERBERT KANNER.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 21:28:02 -0700

OK STARTING WITH THIS POST I'M GOING TO ATTEMPT A COMMENT ON EACH POSTED
PHOTO!
If I miss someone it will be by accident and if you wish to  have it
corrected please drop me a request on my private post line ......
tedgant at shaw.ca"  Thank you.

Herbert Kanner" SHOWED AND COMMENTED ABOUT ANOTHER POSTERS PHOTO:
Subject: Re: [Leica] MOTION contest

> I'm impressed by that first picture of the jumping horse. I wonder what
> your technique was for anticipating the right moment. I would like to cite
> my own experience for comparison.
>
> For a long period, every shot I ever took of a jump was late, and showed
> the horse descending on the far side of the jump. Awful. Then, one year, I
> was in a riding class where the instructor insisted that we estimate when
> we were five strides from the jump, and call aloud: "Four, three, two,
> one, NOW1) Of course, a person who got it wrong would be very embarrassed,
> so we quickly learned to estimate that number of strides. The whole point
> was that if one didn't start voluntarily leaning forward at just the right
> moment, he/she would lose balance backward and might inadvertently yank on
> the reins.
>
> Well, some years after that, when watching and trying to photograph
> jumping at a horse show, I thought I'd try the same procedure: mentally
> count down and press the button on "Now". It worked!

HI  Herb,
As interesting as your counting method sounds and worked. I wouldn't count
on it as a regular manner.

In my case I never think about anything other than concentrate on the horse
movement and instantly shoot without thought. One can screw-up their
reaction time thinking about what they want to catch. It's by
instinct and finger re-action. If anything watch the horse only and as soon
as you see it's front legs come to the rail, you shoot.
You want the animal crossing the railing almost horizontal and clearly see
under it's belly in a clean jump. OR YOU WANT THE RIDER FLYING OFF!

However you absolutely do not want that to happen as the rider can be
severely injured.  Also the horse!
BUT IF IT HAPPENS????? YOU BETTER HAVE IT ON FILM OR DIGI THINGS!

The above action occurs faster than I can type it! You truly must
concentrate on what's happening!
If shooting jumping horses it's always without thought, it's see---click!
:-)
Honest that simple!

Shooting the Hunter Class at the Olympics or anywhere, these are incredible
horse's and
if your covering them, always go to a water hole jump. Best photos nearly
always happen here.... nothing is guaranteed with horse and rider when they
make an error in their routine!  But so beautiful when it's a clean clear
jump, its a marvel!

It truly is peak action. Not part way up, nor down! It's the peak always.
cheers,
Dr. ted.

Message from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] MOTION contest)