Subject: [Leica] X Pro Question
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 14:41:10 -0400

Hi David:

Yes; I have also shot it against the 35 Summilux ASPH on the X-Pro. The
short of it is that on an X-Pro (which has no compensating microlenses), the
Leica lens did not do as well (nor, really, do most Leica-mount wides). To
be fair, the Leica lens is fantastic on digital M bodies whose sensors are
set up to accommodate older lenses. The XF 35 is one of the sharpest lenses
I have ever seen, so it's a tough contest to begin with.

http://dantestella.com/technical/xpro1.html

I don't think there is really a division between "film" lenses and "digital"
lenses.  There are, however, some other divisions:

1.      Lenses that are designed around the tighter tolerances of digital
(flat imaging plane, microscopic image plane depth, delivering light rays
perpendicular to the sensor, pixel peeping that equates to magnifications at
which people never printed pictures). The wider and faster the lens (<35mm
and/or >f/2), the bigger a factor these seem to be. The Rokkors are not
wide/fast enough to present problems; they worked fine on my M8.

2.      TTL focusing systems that can compensate for focus shift vs. blind
rangefinder systems that have to pick a compromise for lenses whose focus
shifts as they stop down (75 Summilux, for example).

3.      Lenses that can be designed to project rays straight into a sensor
vs. systems sensors with microlenses offset to compensate for ray spread of
more symmetrically designed (older) lenses. That compensation is not uniform
for every lens - which is why lens optimization is an issue for the M8, M9
and M.

My studied opinion - even having an M240 coming next week - is that mixing
old lenses and new bodies is not likely to yield the best possible results.
The best possible results will be new Leica glass on new Leica bodies or
Fuji lenses on Fuji bodies.

Dante