Subject: [Leica] Oh my god, why do I own a body for each of my R lenses?
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 08:09:43 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Vick Ko wrote:

>The R8 / R9 scare me, because of their complexity / unreliability.
>
>I can "do my own" SL and SL2 now, so no fear there.
>
>But my irrational side still has a search saved for an R9.

I haven't found the R8 to be any less reliable than the SL.  This year's
adventures with Allendale were the first service for this camera since I
bought it used about 10 years ago, and I have not babied it.  Perhaps the
original owner can tell us how long he had it and whether it ever needed
service.

OTOH... if the DMR could be used on the SL I'd still be using them instead
of the R8.  The SL has all the convenience features I need: spot meter, a
responsive shutter release, an R lens mount with auto diaphragm, and a
spectacular viewfinder.  The only features on the R8 that I've used that the
SL doesn't have is the mirror pre-release, and that only rarely, faster
flash sync (also very rarely), and the DMR compatability, which I use 100%
of the time.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com