Subject: [Leica] Pangong Tso
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:51:51 +0530

Nathan,
Thanks for looking. To my mind it is totally safe, though given the
sensitivity of the area, the Indian Army is everywhere.

I had explained this in another mail :

"Ladakh is part of Jammu and Kashmir state - yes that Kashmir! The
state is divided into three parts - a Hindu south on the plains called
Jammu, the Muslim Kashmir valley in the middle and the high altitude
Buddhist north which is Ladakh. The south and north are largely
peaceful, but the Kashmir valley is where all the troubles are - it
shares a long border with Pakistan.

Conversely, Pakistan's water supply is largely in India's hands
because its main river, the Indus flows through India before it
crosses over into Pakistan. The five main tributaries of the Indus,
the Chenab, Jhelum, Ravi, Beas and Sutlej also have their sources in
the Indian portion of the Himalayas, and flow a fair distance within
Indian territory."

Cheers
Jayanand