Subject: [Leica] Nubra Valley
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:12:43 +0530

The Nubra Valley is accessed through the highest motorable road in the
world, touching 18,380 feet at a pass called Khardung La. From there
you descend gradually into a valley, of altitude of an average of
around 10,000 feet, which was a part of the ancient Silk Route - it
leads to Gilgit-Baltistan in Pakistan on the western end, and into
Xinjiang in China through the famous Karakoram and Saser La passes on
the north western end. The northern end is the high altitude
battlefield, between India and Pakistan, of the Siachen Glacier. I
never got past the valley, which has a tributary of the Indus, the
River Shyok, flowing through it. Another river the Nubra or Siachen,
drains into the Shyok. The valley is famous for its sand dunes, though
why it beats me, because I found them rather underwhelming. The area
around the dunes has wild Bactrian Camels (double humped), which are
also captured and tamed for use as beasts of burden. The usual
monasteries are there and a small town called Diskit is the
administrative centre:

Camel Ride 1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130901_0336.jpg.html

Camel Ride 2:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130901_0366.jpg.html

Football:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130901_0338.jpg.html

Diskit Monastery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130902_0452.jpg.html

Maitreya Buddha:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130902_0492.jpg.html

Please see LARGE (I have posted LARGER as per Philippe's request!)

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Nubra Valley)
Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Nubra Valley)