Subject: [Leica] IMG: Naptime
From: oliverbryk at comcast.net (Bryk Oliver)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:18:16 -0700

Alan wrote:

"I also love this.
You must have been focused at 2'.
And this is one case where color does captures the sole  ;~)
Alan"

Thank you, Alan, for taking the time to give this image a more than cursory
glance.

Because I was intrigued by your comment about the perception of a close
focusing distance, I walked down the street to the same location from where
I had photographed the "Naptime" image, and focused the M8+90mm on the car
that was parked there this morning.

The distance scale of the Elmarit 90 does not show any discrete values
between 25' and infinity. The focusing distance was a bit more than 25'.

I can think of two factors that in combination might create a perception of
closeness: 1) the 90 on the M8 acts as a 120mm lens and 2) the posted image
was cropped to 2100x2100 from the 3600x2400 DNG.

Neither of these two factors changes the perspective which would have been
noticeably different from a camera distance of 2'.

Submitted in the spirit of a conversation,

Oliver

Replies: Reply from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] IMG: Naptime)