Subject: [Leica] Subway portraits- Lluis the magician :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:11:20 -0700

Geoff Hopkinson OFFERED:
" <hopsternew at gmail.com>
To: "Leica Users Group" <lug at leica-users.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Leica] Subway portraits

> And a very good example of how hard Lluis works at his craft as well as
> the
> general cheerful enthusiasm and cooperation of his subjects.
> I was with him there and we had been walking maybe six hours. We were on
> our way to slake our thirsts and get something to eat at Julivert Meu once
> again.
> Lluis was still stopping and chatting to people like this, handing out
> email addresses and generally being friendly and agreeable with the young
> pretty people.

HI CREW:
In all my years roaming the streets of many countries and certainly Canada's
vast lands. I have never seen anyone shoot as close to subjects as Lluie
does. Many have made similar comments and seen him in action. Certainly this
past couple of years!

It truly is as though he's invisible........ click! And only a few
meters/yards away from the subject. He must be the MASTER of the LUG in
capturing the largest number of the most interesting street images day after
day.

When you walk the streets of Barcelona and or in a bar--- pub -- or
restaurant he shoots so close to the subject I'd be afraid of getting a
smack or certainly verbally challenged for putting the camera to my eye.
Lluis? Nope he truly "SEE'S click!" He smiles his wicked little smile.
Subjects generally smile back!

I fully believe some of us have this ability naturally to walk amongst us
and click without revealing ourselves. Good for them! Others like myself and
many of you work at it as hard as we can walking about. More practice and
"NEVER EVER LOOK LIKE YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG! Always have a quick
pleasant smile ready and never look like your a "government spy!" DO NOT
look away quickly if you are shooting candidly and caught!
Because that's a negative action to the subject. As in? "WHAT'S THAT GUY
TAKING MY PICTURE FOR?"

IF CAUGHT? SMILE AND GIVE A LITTLE WAVE! Or make a motion you'd like to take
another? But smile, smile and smile.

So endeth the lesson! :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)