Subject: [Leica] Re; "Tea Party" reunion
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 19:28:34 -0400 (EDT)

Joe writes:
An old man goes into a gun shop to buy a shotgun. "The store owner,
convinced
that his time was being wasted, said that the best shotgun he had in
the store
cost $8,000. "What makes it so expensive"? The customer asked. The store
owner laid the Italian Caesar Guerini shotgun on a velvet mat on the
counter
and pointed to the beautiful silver engravings, the meticulous
attention to
details, how the metal met the beautifully sculpted walnut stock
perfectly.
To the astonishment of the store owner, without hesitation our customer
said: "I'll buy it". The store owner was speechless but obviously
delighted
for the handsome profit realized with only minor annoyance.

A week later the customer returns to the store. The store owner panics
thinking the worst: The old man is over his head after an impulsive
purchase
and wants his money back. Instead the customer declares that he is a
collector and lover of quality. He appreciates beauty as well as
function.
"I own several modern and collectable Leica cameras as well as old fine
violins", he continues.
The shotgun you sold me is as precise and beautiful as my Leica M9; it
hangs
next to the Stradivarius in my den."
The story concludes with the customer buying a cheap shotgun to protect
the good stuff.

- - - -

A great story. Collectors are a peculiar bunch. Utility and rationality
doesn't enter into the urge to acquire. My wife collects bone china tea
cups. The more decorative the better. Of course they are too fragile to
actually use. We drink out of ceramic mugs instead. This is a picture
of the rifle I lusted after. A true work of art.
<http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=022B>
The only Leica I consider a true work of art is:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Leica+IIIc+with+3M+Safty+Walk+N
onskid+tape_.png.html>
The later ones are just functional machines.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] Re; "Tea Party" reunion)