Subject: [Leica] Deer and bears
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 18:57:24 -0400 (EDT)

Enough about guns and just one last comment about white tailed deer.

In 2001 we visited our son-in-law, then deputy ambassador to Nepal. On
a trek through the Himalayas my wife asked our guide why the
rhododendrons looked like trees instead of large bushes. "It's simple,"
explained our guide. "Grazing animals eat the lower branches and leave
only the tops to grow."

When we bought our house in the Hudson Valley 50 years ago, it was
surrounded by bush like rhododendrons. We had to trim many of the
branches to get light in the windows. Then the deer moved in.
Rhododendron leaves are one of their favorite delicacies. They ate all
of the lower foliage, then stood on their hind legs to consume whatever
they could reach higher up. Now we too have rhododendron trees just
like in Nepal.

This guy and his family are the culprits. This six point buck has a
harem of five females with fawns that eat everything but concrete patio
blocks.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Buck+in+yard.jpg.html

Black bears live in the wooded area nearby. Did I mention that we live
right across the Hudson from Bear Mountain State Park? The bears might
keep Bambi and his ilk in check. I snapped the pic with a P&S a winter
ago then beat a hasty retreat. If the bears are successful we might
have to import some of Jayanand's tigers to keep the bears in check.
And so on.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Bears+in+next+door+woodlot.jpg.html

There is no pretense of quality in either of these photos. They are
just record shots.

For this of you morbidly interested in what unrestrained weapons
availability can do in a country other than the USA see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepalese_royal_massacre
It happened when we were in Nepal.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Deer and bears)