Subject: [Leica] M9 gotcha
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 14:47:52 -0700

Geoff... if it is either 8 bits or 14 bits, and you then process the image
in LR or CS, what data is LR or CS working with?  8 bits, or during file
opening, the data is decompressed from 8 bits back up to 14 bits and then
you are working with 14 bit data?

The issue to me is the quantization level achievable in the post
processing.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Brian, anecdotally most M9 shooters use that compressed option, although I
didn't personally.  Of course, with the M8 it was the only option. The key
is that it is non-linear compression. If you like I'll send you a copy of
the LFI explanation of the mechanism.

Cheers
Geoff

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] M9 gotcha)