Subject: [Leica] NZ PAW 44
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 14:02:44 +1000
References: <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9D0D8F44A@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <CAE3QcF4pNHJ7+po=ZT4KOTMj8j7Y8ABjevae5G6vzj6dHBBA3g@mail.gmail.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9D0D904DC@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <CAE3QcF6MFnZyxpnhX53cMhR1SJc1atrptNSG8OKveVPBh_YuAQ@mail.gmail.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9D0D90963@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <CAE3QcF4zUzHV8gJyZDqYYnKOaLNO1KDJe=afXzFe=U3Q_sWgig@mail.gmail.com> <CAAsXt4N-U1jzx1tYUBjFRHFT80sz19uR8vGJ=qNuw6z-Wh-nOA@mail.gmail.com> <CAE3QcF43U_+v6Q6ooOUXJOQdz0n4E8HkiQjfotnPtqPQsyTJ9Q@mail.gmail.com> <F0A09F10-C363-4438-88A8-AA3F3F5D8AAD@gmail.com>

Well now Bob, if you'd like to continue chatting about this, it's valuable
to me of course.
To recap on the specific setup, this was a shared studio space with 11
other photogs. Maybe 5 minutes max on a rotation with each setup and model.
 The initial setup was established by the instructor who then demonstrated
the variations possible by directing the model within the provided light
(feathering/angles, distance etc.) With the shared light packs and timing
it was good etiquette to not change the packs settings (although I got
caught on occasion where one or two others had)

The lighting baseline was setup with a tethered HD50 or similar and
clipping levels established for printable with whites (B'grounds) set to be
just about on that. If you just clip those without control you get some
loss of quality/contrast in the rest.

So was set for the Canons that were in majority with base ISO of 100. The M
of course has a base of 200. So add a stop to the given setting. Actually
in my experience f/8 say on an M prime ain't f/8 on something else. My
lenses slurp in light with alacrity.
f/9 is pretty standard for this studio and instructor. For fashion you just
need to be confident that you have front to back sharpness even with a
faster shooting/posing sequence. Moving models ain't benches or mountains
;-) ;-). Actually I often ask for a slower pace as these folks might show
you 50 pose variations in a couple of minutes if you aren't directing in
detail and these professionals are largely waay better at directing
themselves than I. The shooting rhythm is important for mood and energy too.
For portraiture of course there are different considerations (and
personally I very much favour f/4-ish for the look I want the way I shoot
that.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/148571637

Open the lens up more and you get a different result of course.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/148037826

I did shoot a portion of that day with available light but my strike rate
with the borrowed Nocti opened pretty wide was quite poor. Not the lenses
fault of course.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman