Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses on Sony A7
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 15:23:05 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 6, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Doug Herr wrote:

I've noticed this too, and I'd still be able to use my R extenders and
extension tubes (no mount changes!). ?It can also use FD, AI, pre-AI,
EOS, G-type Nikkors, and with a few restrictions that mean little to
me, just about anything else you can put on 'em. ?With the A7r at 36
full-frame, no-AA-filtered MP.

I'd have to see for myself what I think of the EVF but from where I sit
it's the only possible deal-killer the A7r has.

- - -

While it may be a serious contender for long R glass;
the results I've seen so far when using M glass, 50 mm and shorter,
look horrible
everywhere but the center area.
I'd guess it's the lack of micro lenses - or at least lack of the
"proper" micro lenses.
Really wish it were not so.
I'm hoping perhaps the tests I've seen are simply an anomaly.
Yet it seems fairly obvious that Leica M cameras are optimized for
Leica M lenses.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

- - -

George's conclusion seems to be quite reasonable. Back in the dark ages
of Leica full frame digital photography, Leica published reams of
material on why full frame imaging wouldn't be possible without
carefully designed microlenses and individual lens coding. I guess Sony
ignored the Leica pundits and/or configured lenses which altered the
light angle at the edges of the frame. I have no specific knowledge of
the situation except for the comments of a friend, a former engineer at
Kodak who told me several years ago that Leica's microlens solution was
effective but very expensive. Except for the plethora of existing Leica
full frame lenses requiring a short flange to sensor distance, it was
more expedient to use reduced sensor sizes. Thus the M8, APC C, and
micro 4/3 size cameras.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Leica lenses on Sony A7)
Reply from roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark) ([Leica] Leica lenses on Sony A7)