Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses on Sony A7
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 14:09:45 -0800

I'm following this also, and so far, it sounds to me as if 35mm and up are
probably going to work fine on the a7r.  Forget the plain a7.  But, of
course, the jury is still out.  I pre-ordered an a7r, but, as with Sony's
previous highly-hyped attempt, I'll send it back if it's a turkey.

See the following:

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Sony/A7R

   (Click through to DxO.)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/11/04/sony-a7r-image-quality-analysis-medium-format-quality-35mm-body-judge-yours
and
the connected image comparisons at
http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/a7r/#IQC

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/10/31/my-1st-look-wrap-up-of-the-sony-a7-and-a7r-cameras/

("After using these cameras extensively with a variety of Leica M mount
glass I can say that if you shoot 35mm and up, there will be no issues on
the A7 or A7r with color fringing or magenta edges or focusing. If shooting
lenses such as the crazy 12mm Voigtlander or the 15mm or a Zeiss 21 2.8 or
Voigtlander 28 f/2 you will see different degrees of either Vignetting or
Color issues on the edges." ... " If you shoot 35mm and up, to me, these
two cameras put out better IQ than the Leica M.")

The Sony chip does have inward-looking microlenses, but how they compare to
the M9 or M (which are not the same as the M9) is an open question.  The
lack of software for correction will probably be worse than the situation
with using Zeiss lenses on the M9 due to the inability to "fool" the camera
into thinking, e.g., my ZM 35 2.8 Biogon is a per-ASPH Leica.  Of course,
corner fix will work to some extent, but no software solution is that great
-- garbage in, garbage out.  The compromise between degree of light falloff
and retrofocus issues is where the action is going to be.  So far, Leica
seems to be doing an excellent job there.  As such, I'll be most interested
in how my Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 does.  It's going to take that level of
performance to take advantage of these high resolution sensors.

At this time, however, comparing raw files at the edges is still not being
done at the level I'll need.  I've never found a test that gives me the
details I need.  So, I order and send back a lot of equipment.

Paul

www.PaulRoark.com

Replies: Reply from abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Leica lenses on Sony A7)
Reply from george.imagist at icloud.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Leica lenses on Sony A7)