Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Otus - Lens sharpness confusion
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 14:55:16 -0800

The 102 lpmm were 'discernible' on Micro Ektachrome, which is a very high
contrast, super fine grain film. In that regard, digital sensors cannot yet
compete nor should they try, as that film was not usable for general
pictorial use. The MTF value which resulted in a 'discernible' lp/mm is
unknown, of course.

The 38 lpmm, which should really be written lp/mm is measured at an MTF of
50%, or 50% contrast which is indeed excellent.

On the other hand, you cannot compare resolution figures which were tested
by different people at different times using different methodologies.

Looking at some Leica MTF charts (Note the above caveat!) the Summilux ASPH
also would produce in the region of 40lp/mm at 50% in the center and the
edge APS-C figure would be similar, but the edge FF figure is definitely
worse. The AA Summicron 50 at f/2 is a lot better, according to Leica's
literature. Both of these Leica lenses are significantly better than the 50
DR from the 50's overall. Leica apparently tests lenses, not designs but the
parameters are unknown to me.

These lenses have to be tested at the same time by the same person using the
same methodology (and that includes the sensor). Looks like at the moment
the Sony A7R is the only body that qualifies.

Henning