Subject: [Leica] [OM] IMG: Pomegranates with WhiBal
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 17:59:59 -0800

Because a sensor doesn't see the world as we see it?
Think of a camera's sensor as a very special kind of film. If you shoot in
shade, bright sunlight, mountain top with snow, etc., your film shows the
scene differently than you see it.
So, just as you used a gray card with film, you can use a white balancing
card (an accurate gray card really) with your sensor.

>From all that I have read and experienced (both with 35mm sensor and MF
digital back), it is much better to shoot a gray card of the scene and
change the white balancing in the camera rather than adjusting post shoot.
This works best, of course, if your shooting a series of images in the same
light situation. The reason I think this is true is I just shot a scene
recently using a 10-stop ND filter. Without adjusting for white balance in
the camera, the file (raw) came out extremely blue. Shooting a WhiBal card
and adjusting the camera to that gray at the time of shooting gave
"perfect" colors. Trying to adjust in LR to the WhiBal card gave color
quality somewhere in between.

IMO of course?
Bob