Subject: [Leica] Leica Buys Sinar
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 20:46:46 -0500

I appears that our  Dr. Andreas Kaufmann had so much fun working with Sinar
on the Sinar p MF-L splice that he bought the company.
It's like its a line from Citizen Kane:  I had so much fun I bought the
company.

In the past when you'd ask top pros the crazy question: what is the best
camera out there you'd love to be shooting with? plenty said "Sinar" a few
said Deardorf and quite a few said Leica and the rest said Hasselblad with a
sprinkling of old timers saying Rolleiflex. I'm sure a few said a Nikon F.
and one guy loved his wife's Brownie.

The Sinar patent (which has expired)  and their level of amazing Swiss
precisision craftsmanship in a camera system under the Leica roof is an
amazing thing and I'm glad to hear about it.
It's history of great precision machining certainly rivals Leica' s own
background as a microscope maker and maybe surpasses it.
Just walk up to a Sinar on a tripod and turn the micro mover thing and watch
the front standard go up a fraction of a millimeter. See what that does to
you.
But I hope it leads to more things than this Leica S Sinar P splice.
As George says those rigs can be great fun but limited from the get go.

Sinar and Leica more than have reputations as company's who make greatly
machined parts.
But they both are also known for innovation. And design.
If the great minds from both companies are working together that's gotta be
a good thing. I hope many of the people in Solms and or Wetzlar can get
happy with the Bernese German dialect.